Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:23 -0000

On 27/04/11 07:47, haziz wrote:
I also want separate buffers to allow shell commands and to M-x compile.
> I want it to open into this multi-buffer form automatically when visiting a C
source file,
> rather than having to launch each buffer separately.

Haziz,

I think you are getting confused between a 'buffer', a 'window' and a 'frame'.

In Emacs,
When a file is opened it is read into a buffer; there is normally a one-to-one
mapping between
the file and the buffer. (make-indirect-buffer does violate this; but is not
relevant here).
A buffer can also have no file associated with it, such as *scratch*,
*compilation* etc.

A 'window' is what most other editors call a (non-tiling) MDI child window.
A 'frame' is what most other editors call a top-level window.

Each window displays the contents of one buffer;
M-x displayer-buffer   or M-x 4 C-o  will buffer the current window is
currently displaying.

Each frame displays one or more windows,
C-x 2 or C-x 3 will half the size of the current window, and create a new window
to take the remaining space. Both the current and new windows will display the
current buffer.

I hope that is a bit clearer,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.