Re: leaving comint.el for a better emacs shell

From: Terrence Brannon
Subject: Re: leaving comint.el for a better emacs shell
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 08:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

On May 14, 9:48 pm, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> there are other modes that use
> comint for communicaitons with external/remote systems that allow
> multiple instances with different names.

shell-current-directory.el does that for comint-based shell and has
for many years. I use it with TRAMP for that successfully.

I'm just a little irked that this one script works in emacs-eshell and
emacs-term but not emacs-comint

It also works just fine at the shell

> This would indicate there is
> nothing inherent to comint that prevents multiple instances. I also have
> comint based modes that will connect remotely if I execute the mode
> while viewing a remote directory/file. So that aspect also does not seem
> to be related to comint per se.

I dont think I said that comint wouldnt do that. It's just a
requirement of whatever else I use to replace comint (since comint
also does it)