Re: leaving comint.el for a better emacs shell

From: Terrence Brannon
Subject: Re: leaving comint.el for a better emacs shell
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 08:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

On May 13, 6:34 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2011 14:46:41 -0700 (PDT) Terrence Brannon
> <thequietcen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TB> I would like to have a shell which
> TB>   1. allows me to have multiple shells, with descriptive names, based
> TB> on the current working directory of the buffer I am in
> TB>   2. opens shells on remote machines, should the current working
> TB> directory be on a machine I have accessed via tramp
>
> eshell does 1 and 2.
>
> TB> Eshell sounds neat, but I dont think it sources .bashrc files, does
> TB> it?
>
> Why do you need to source bashrc files?  Do you need aliases, functions,
> prompts?

well I need those things you mention and I'm sure that eshell does
them. But I have all that written in bash and sometimes I use xterm
and bash is common ground for my xterm work and emacs work. Eshell
could never fill that role

> Ted

I just realized I did not post the Perl script which fails in
comint.el but works in M-x term and M-x eshell
Here it is - https://gist.github.com/973675