Re: how to make next-error work on non-grep non-compilation

From: Jim Newton
Subject: Re: how to make next-error work on non-grep non-compilation
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 07:06:27 -0700 (PDT)

> Does its name have something specific to its format (e.g. it uses
> a particular extension)?

No the file has no particular extension, but i can give it whatever extension
it needs if that makes the job easier.

> Do you also want it to be editable at the same time?

It should not be editable.

> Maybe you need to set compilation-error-regexp-alist.

what should I set it to?  I'm trying to make the format of the file already
compatible with grep.  I'm assuming that only the grep match lines are
important and not the header lines which show the grep command line.

> Calling `compilation-compat-parse-errors' is a bad idea: just remove the
> call, it should not make any difference.

okeydokey

> I'd recommend you try something simpler based around something like:
>
> (let ((buf (find-file-noselect file-name)))
>   (grep-mode))

Well I would like the buffer to have a more generic name so that if i run my
function many times, it reuses the same buffer, thus destroying its old
content.  So I'd rather not make the buffer simple a file-visiting buffer.

-jim