shell mode doesn't dynamic complete !$ correctly

From: cliffwd
Subject: shell mode doesn't dynamic complete !$ correctly
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:51:46 -0700 (PDT)

I've installed the latest Ubuntu (GNU Emacs 23.2.1) and when I run in shell
mode, if I enter
% echo a b c
% echo !$[TAB]

Pushing the TAB key, I expect "!$" to be replaced with c (the last argument
on the previous line), but instead it's replaced with the whole entire last
line (that's what "!!" should do).
comint-dynamic-complete appears to be calling
comint-replace-by-expanded-history which seems to be replacing with the
wrong thing.
Any suggestions?