Handling mail

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Handling mail
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:25:29 +0200

After having used GNU/Emacs+VM for 20-odd years I wonder: is it still
viable to use Emacs to handle modern mail?

Most mail and mail-related packages (e.g. VM, BBDB, MailCrypt, WL)
seem to be outdated and unmaintained for years. Many problems exist
with multi-media mail, Unicode, and so on.

Gnus seems to be the only package that is up-to-date (I use it for
reading news and mailing lists), however I've never been able to live
with it as a news reader. I'm very hooked to VM's virtual folders.
My dearest wish is to continue using Emacs for mail but currently this
feels like a dead end.

What are your ideas and suggestions?

-- Johan