Re: bug#9105: Feature req: Remembering emacs frames, windows, buffer pos

From: ken
Subject: Re: bug#9105: Feature req: Remembering emacs frames, windows, buffer position to subsequent session
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 07:26:27 -0400

On 07/17/2011 06:54 PM Juri Linkov wrote:
>> Yes, this is asking quite a bit.  So I'll add one more thing.  In Linux
>> and other OSs employing X it's possible to have multiple viewports
>> (i.e., desktops) and to place any GUI application into any viewport.  So
>> it's possible that all emacs windows might not be all in the same
>> viewport... six emacs frames could be positioned in two, four, or more
>> different viewports.  Accurately positioning all of them in the correct
>> viewports would constitute a thorough recreation of the previous session.
>
> Do you know what commands can move Emacs frames to different viewports?

AFAIK this is done by window manager commands.  In gnome, where they're
called "workspaces", left-clicking on the top border brings up a pop-up
menu where the viewport can be selected.  Used to be, you could drag
windows from one viewport to another.  I don't know why that feature has
been removed, but it has.