Re: Couple of automation questions

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Couple of automation questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:27:43 +0300

* 2011-07-27T11:01:18+05:30 * C. K. Kashyap wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a situation where I need to "beautify" a log file quite often. I need
> to do the same set of steps.
> What is the recommended best practices for the following approaches -

> 1. Keyboard Macro
> What is the way to save the macro to disk? Do we open a new buffer (or a
> buffer that contains all keyboard macros) and then insert it there and save
> it?

See the info node

    C-h i g (emacs) Save Keyboard Macro RET

> 2. Scripting
> Whats the recommended way to get started with scripting? Do I open up a
> buffer and start typing? I dont seem to get function name completion in a
> new buffer.

"Scripting" in Emacs is actually programming in Emacs Lisp. To get
started with Emacs Lisp I suggest reading "An Introduction to
Programming in Emacs Lisp" and of course the Emacs Lisp reference
manual.

    C-h i g (eintr) Top RET
    C-h i g (elisp) Top RET