Re: Couple of automation questions

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Couple of automation questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:28:26 +0200

Am 27.07.2011 18:52, schrieb fork:
C K Kashyap<ckkashyap<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

Thanks Teemu ... I am aware of elisp. What I am looking for are general tips
on how one goes about actually writing them in real time ( while editing some
text) ... for example, if I do a kill and want to yank 10 times, What I'd do is
M-:(dotimes (i 10) (yank))

but is that the recommended way or would writing the script in the main buffer
and executing it with C-x-e better ... or is there an even better way?

What I do is to improvise a macro by C-x-( etc.  Then you can "M-x
name-last-kbd-macro" to give it an identifier "M-x insert-kbd-macro" put the
macro in your .emacs file for later.

sed + awk + tr + shell scripting might be a better fit for automatically
beautifying log files though

yes maybe, if the tasks repeat and are basically simple. Than you could use some python or perl too.

no, if it's seldom or tricky.

sed, awk etc. don't have such a thing like edebug for example.

Andreas