Re: Annoying change in "other window" behavior

From: MBR
Subject: Re: Annoying change in "other window" behavior
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:14:33 -0400

On 8/23/2011 4:26 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
In any case these commands have always used the other-window. I will have to say you either had some special configuration which is not
working with Emacs 23 or you remember incorrectly.

I just tested this with Emacs 21.4.1.

I'm sure I'm not remembering incorrectly because I still have both installations.  I recently installed Ubuntu in a separate partition on my laptop.  Emacs 21.3.1 runs when I boot Windows XP, and Emacs 23.2.1 runs when I boot Ubuntu.  The behavior differences I'm describing should all be implemented in Lisp, and should therefore not depend in any way on the OS under which Emacs is running.

I did discover something more about 23.2.1's behavior after I posted.  It seems the behavior depends on the width of the top-level window (what Emacs calls a "frame").  If I have two vertically-stacked Emacs windows in a small Emacs frame and type C-x C-b, *Buffer List* is displayed in the other pre-existing Emacs window.  But if I have the same two vertically-stacked Emacs windows in a large Emacs frame (I frequently work with one Emacs frame maximized) when I type C-x C-b, instead of displaying *Buffer List* in the other pre-existing Emacs window, it behaves as if I'd run M-x split-window-horizontally before running M-x list-buffers.

Just to be sure, I double-checked 21.3.1's behavior (i.e. the old version), and it doesn't do this.  Unless it's starting with only one Emacs window and has no choice but to split it into two, it always reuses a pre-existing Emacs window.

So, there can be no doubt that somebody added a new feature that makes this window-splitting behavior dependent on the width of the frame, which it never used to be.  I'd really like to turn this feature off.
Mark