Re: finding files not visited

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: finding files not visited
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:20:39 +0400

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/14/2011 12:41 PM, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> I didn't understand what is your idea/suggestion, but I work with
>> large amount of Java files this way: 1. Open a dired buffer for each
>> project (Maven module in my case) 2. Set dired switches (C-u s) to
>> contain -R so it outputs all files recursively 3. Use file name
>> incremental search (C-s) to find what I want. I also have (setq
>> dired-isearch-filenames t) in .emacs for it to be more
>> convenient. Filipp
>
> I'm happily using this solution actually :)

I'm glad it's OK for you.

> The only problem is that I would like to enable it globally, but only
> when the actual number of subdirectories is not huge, otherwise it
> takes forever...

For me, setting "-I .svn -I .git" etc. usually leaves not much of them.

Is it really a problem considering that each directory needs to be
opened only once in a single Emacs session (and particular subdirs can
be rescanned individually by "l" in Dired)?

> I can't find, however, a variable to set up to give a limit of maximum
> sub-directories to open...
> Or how can I achieve that?

If you do this then you won't know for sure that a given file exists or
doesn't exist in a particular directory tree when you use C-s, so I
think it's a bad idea.

Filipp