Re: new emacs24 settings (was: Re: Performance problems (CPU 100%) with

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: new emacs24 settings (was: Re: Performance problems (CPU 100%) with NULs in files)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 02:32:24 +0800

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> next-line
What was the value of line-move-visual?  Under the default non-nil
setting, next-line is pretty expensive.

it was t, setting it to nil didn't help bibi-display much.

> >  What kind of text?  What was the major mode in that buffer?
>
> emacs-lisp large file

How large?

allout.el >200k not very large.  large enough to scroll continuously  for 10 seconds of so.

Does it matter whether you are close to the file's beginning or to its
end?

Does anything change if, after visiting the file, you first type

 M-: (font-lock-default-fontify-buffer) RET
and only then try scrolling?

no.

> I also use full font-lock salad colors with "Consolas" font on Windows.
> Also I use several minor-modes that add pre or post-command-hooks.

If you remove those pre/post-command hooks, does the scrolling speed
improve significantly?  Can you find a hook that has the most profound
effect?

no it does not.  the effect of all hooks is about 2-3% CPU.

> > Does it behave better if you set redisplay-dont-pause to a non-nil
> > value?  This will be the default in Emacs 24.
> >

> It's not making a noticeable difference.

With or without bidi-display-reordering?  I asked about its effect
when bidi-display-reordering is left at its default t value.

I tried it with bidi and without, difference wasn't huge.

--
Le