Re: new emacs24 settings (was: Re: Performance problems (CPU 100%) with

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: new emacs24 settings (was: Re: Performance problems (CPU 100%) with NULs in files)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:02:37 +0300

> Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 02:32:24 +0800
> From: Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>

> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>

> > > next-line
> > What was the value of line-move-visual?  Under the default non-nil
> > setting, next-line is pretty expensive.
> >

> it was t, setting it to nil didn't help bibi-display much.
>

> >  > >  What kind of text?  What was the major mode in that buffer?
> > >
> > > emacs-lisp large file
> >
> > How large?
> >

> allout.el >200k not very large.  large enough to scroll continuously  for 10
> seconds of so.
>
> Does it matter whether you are close to the file's beginning or to its
> > end?
> >
> > Does anything change if, after visiting the file, you first type
> >
> >  M-: (font-lock-default-fontify-buffer) RET
> >
> and only then try scrolling?
> >

> no.
>

> > > I also use full font-lock salad colors with "Consolas" font on Windows.
> > > Also I use several minor-modes that add pre or post-command-hooks.
> >
> > If you remove those pre/post-command hooks, does the scrolling speed
> > improve significantly?  Can you find a hook that has the most profound
> > effect?
>

> no it does not.  the effect of all hooks is about 2-3% CPU.
>
>  > > Does it behave better if you set redisplay-dont-pause to a non-nil
> > > >

> > > It's not making a noticeable difference.
> >
> > With or without bidi-display-reordering?  I asked about its effect
> > when bidi-display-reordering is left at its default t value.
> >

> I tried it with bidi and without, difference wasn't huge.

What you tell is very strange, because any reason I could think of are
contradicted by one or more of your answers.

Please file a bug report with the following info:

 . your full .emacs file (assuming the problem is not visible in
   "emacs -Q"; if it is, no need for .emacs)

 . the name of some Lisp file that is part of Emacs which exhibits a
   similar slowdown, and that slowdown disappears when you turn off
   bidi-display-reordering.  alternatively, if you can post the
   specific Lisp file you used in this testing, that'd be best.

With this info, I can look into the problem and see what causes it.

Thanks in advance.