Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:15:04 -0500

I've installed a true type font package ttf-inconsolata with the
debian installer tool `aptitude'.

I see it at /usr/share/fonts/

  freefont    ttf-dejavu       ttf-liberation  ttf-sil-gentium
  openoffice  ttf-inconsolata  ttf-lyx         ttf-sil-gentium-basic

Along with several others.  None of these show up in the list emacs
generates.  None show up in the full list displayed xlsfonts either.

Googling around, I see a fair number of hits, but they (so far) appear
to be dated to the point of being not very helpful.  It seems a common
theme is to point out the fonts in xorg.conf... but the new debian does
not use xorg.conf any more so not sure how that would be done in that
case.

I have posted a query on the debian user list, but haven't seen a
response yet... (its a very new posting).   But, anyway I thought I
might get help here as well.

I have emacs-23 installed with Debian tools, but run emacs-24 (from 1
week ago) from my own compile.

What can I do to make these fonts accessible to emacs?