Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: Johnny
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:11:14 +0100

I thought I'd let this one slip, as I considered myself too
inexperienced to argue a point, but after following some of the sandbox
arguments, I am now compelled to give a view.

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> In Emacs 24, now in pretest, a change is being considered for ASCII
> DEL (on most keyboards, the Backspace key) and the Delete function
> key.  The change affects the case of an active region that was not
> dragged with the mouse.  The change is that these commands would
> delete the region, rather than just one character as now.
>
> In the past, this behavior was enabled in some minor modes: CUA mode,
> Delete Selection mode, and PC Selection mode.  In the 24.0.90 pretest,
> this behavior is enabled by default.  Thus, building and using the
> pretest is an easy way to try the change.
>
> Here are the questions we hope you will answer:
>
> * Are you in favor of this change?
Yes.

> * Are you opposed to this change?
No.

> * How strongly do you feel about the matter?
5 out of 10.

> We don't want to just "count votes" -- we want to understand
> how this affects users.  So if you care about the issue,
> please tell us how the change affects your editing.
>
> * What are the cases where you find it helps?
1) Expanded functionality.
It wouldn't change my editing habits by much, if at all. When I have an
active region, I expect to operate on it, and in my current habits would
/never/ use DEL or Delete, because they do not operate on the active
region. Normally to "delete" text, I'd use 'kill-region' through C-w. It
is quite possible I'd use the delete functionality if implemented, with
the pros and cons of not having the section in the kill ring.

2) Improved harmonisation.
For newcomers and oldtimers alike. While a minor argument, it is
nonetheless valid. Not that emacs needs any selling points as free
software, but sometimes even experienced users have to switch editors,
and in those cases it doesn't harm in harmonising editor behaviours when
it is not degrading the functionality (see point 1).

> * What are the cases where you find it hurts?
1) Extra keystrokes.
Rarely (basically never) after selecting an active region, I may change
my mind and want to delete a single character without first using C-g to
deactivate the region. This could be mitigated by customising init.el if
pressing, so not really an issue.

2) Human error.
Getting used to the new behaviour and deleting a region instead of
killing it will make it unyankable (but undoable), and may not be the
desired outcome. This is behavioural training, and I can adapt (I hope I
am not yet too old to learn).

> * What is your level of Emacs experience?
2 years, having merged all my (org)anisational, mail, messenging,
browsing and coding needs into one editor.

> A further change in the same area has been suggested: when there is an
> active region, a self-inserting character would delete the region
> before the character is inserted by default.
>
> * What would you think of this further change?
The same arguments as above holds. I am for the change, without a heavy bias.

--
Johnny