Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?

From: Judeau
Subject: Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:08:28 -0700 (PDT)

David Engster wrote:

>> I used auto complete clang, but it seems to have no speed improvement.
>> Why
>> is that :( ?
>
> I have no idea. Maybe CEDET isn't compiled correctly?

I byte-compiled CEDET and setting up correctly without any error.

David Engster wrote:

>> I love Emacs and all, and been using it for my C/C++ for almost
>> a year until I discover KDevelop. Using Emacs means code completion
>> should
>> be trivial and optional? I really love this Emacs as an editor and as an
>> "IDE". I just want to find a way to improve this.
>>
>> I notice that when performing auto complete, my disk got accessed a lot.
>> Is
>> there a way to make the included files stored in memory for faster look
>> up?
>> Or should CEDET implement this way?
>
> Maybe your project is simply very large? Could you give some concrete
> examples where completions are too slow for you? Maybe CEDET can be
> tuned to your project by excluding some headers which slow down
> completion.
>
> -David

I want to use the boost header files. Every time I include a new header file
in the boost library, it takes pretty long to parse.

I used boost asio, and it always takes a few seconds for the first look up.
The second look up (means cached) is a brief. delay. Meanwhile, using
Eclipse CDT or KDevelop, after I include the header file such as
boost/asio.hpp , the symbols in the header file (and related files in the
header) are automatically available for look up instantly without any delay
(just like the usual feeling when programming with Java in an IDE). However,
in order for Eclipse to "see" the symbol, I must specified the library &
link path for a particular project.

For that reason, also since my company is using Eclipse, I end up using
Eclipse with Emacs key binding, which is a neat combination. But, I still
want to make my Emacs environment better, simply because its key binding and
command system is really nice for productivity.

And, with autocomplete.el, autocomplete is usually sufficient, mainly even
without completion or not, we usually have to look up for the function in
the document anyway. Afterward, autocomplete.el does it job nicely.