Re: emacs-23 from bzr repository (Oct 17) does not compile on ubuntu 11.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: emacs-23 from bzr repository (Oct 17) does not compile on ubuntu 11.10
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:19:43 -0400

Pawel Karpowicz wrote:

> -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/1 -linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include

Looks like a preprocessing bug of the form of

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/786698

> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/crt1.o', needed by `temacs'.

Another known issue with Emacs 23. See various Ubuntu and GNU bug
reports, eg https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/746510

Neither issue affects Emacs 24. There will be no more releases from the
emacs23 branch so neither will be fixed there. There is essentially no
difference between the emacs23 branch and the Emacs 23.3 release, so you
might not need to build the former if you have the latter.

Otherwise the simplest fix may be just to make symlinks in /usr/lib that
point to the real crt1.o etc while you build Emacs, then remove them
afterwards in case they interfere with anything else. Or edit the
Makefile by hand with the correct location of crt1.o etc.