Re: Emacs 23.3 + Synctex + Skim: some question/overview

From: Marius Hofert
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.3 + Synctex + Skim: some question/overview
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:00:47 +0200

Okay, it took quite some time, but I finally figured it out... (comments below)

On 2011-10-25, at 11:29 , Marius Hofert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit lost concerning setting up GNU Emacs 23.3 + Synctex with Skim on
> Mac OS X 10.7.2. I found different approaches online but they don't seem to
> work nicely.
>
> So here is the part of my .emacs:
>
> (setq TeX-PDF-mode t); use pdflatex by default
> '(LaTeX-command "latex -synctex=1"); use synctex [sometimes it's given with
> two hypens instead of one (?)]
> (server-start); start emacs in server mode so that skim can talk to it
>
> Problems/Questions:
> 1) Now skim more or less works, but CMD + Shift + click in the .pdf does not
> bring me close to the corresponding point in .tex (I end up roughly one page
> away...)

this was due to a messed-up .pdf I used when testing. In a normal .pdf you
should end up in the same paragraph.

> 2) I also tried the following two alternatives which I found online, but they
> did not change anything.
> ;; alternative 1:
> '(TeX-output-view-style '(("^pdf$" "." "skim %s.pdf")))
> ;; alternative 2:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/skim-app/index.php?title=TeX_and_PDF_Synchronization
> (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook
>    (lambda ()
>        (add-to-list 'TeX-output-view-style
>            '("^pdf$" "."
>              "/Applications/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/displayline %n %o
> %b")))
> )

the problem here was that I totally forgot that I use latexmk via the terminal.
latexmk of course does not know anything about the current line...
Going through setting  up C-c C-c to use latexmk, setting up Skim as default
pdf viewer (in .emacs) and displaying the current line in highlighted form was
not trivial (to me), but I finally figured it out. You can find my solution
here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7899845/emacs-synctex-skim-how-to-correctly-set-up-syncronization-none-of-the-exi

> 3) For forward search, how can I click in Emacs so that the pdf jumps to the
> corresponding point? CMD + Shift + click (of course) did not work. I couldn't
> find any solution to this problem, except that this is not needed since skim
> can display a yellow line and one will then see where the cursor is. But what
> if skim shows a different page of the .pdf? I don't see the yellow bar on
> page 20 when I'm on page 10, for example...

You can simply use C-c C-v (View) to show the current line in the .pdf in
highlighted form.

> 4) Yellow line: How do I get the yellow line showing the point in the .pdf?

see the above link.

> 5) correlate-method: I also found:
> (setq TeX-source-correlate-method 'synctex)
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'TeX-source-correlate-mode)
> Is this required for synctex to work properly?

This I had from
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/11613/launching-an-external-pdf-viewer-from-emacs-auctex-on-a-mac-osx-fails/11799#11799
Although these settings worked, I don't like using code I don't understand. The
solution I pointed out above was more intuitive to me and did the same thing.
By the way, it also works with multi-file documents (master...)

> I know that all the features (jumping back/forth to the *correct* position,
> yellow line) worked in Aquamacs, but I just can't get it to work for GNU
> Emacs.

solved :-)

Cheers,

Marius