Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts

From: Marius Hofert
Subject: Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 01:01:00 +0200

On 2011-10-29, at 20:33 , Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Marius Hofert writes:
>
> Hi Marius,
>
>> The connection to mail.uni.edu at startup works quite fast (about 1s),
>> but the I get asked "Buffer has a running process; kill it?" If I
>> choose yes, then "imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com..." appears
>> (again, for as long as I don't abort it with C-g).
>
> This "Buffer has running process" thingy rings some bell.  I think there
> was a discussion lately on emacs-devel or ding.  You might want to have
> a look.

I tried, but couldn't find anything useful :-(
The non-Gmail server is a Microsoft Exchange server (in case that information
is useful).

I commented out the gmail account, hoping that it will make the other mailbox
run perfectly, but it does not (still getting the kill buffer message). I then
commmented out the buggy mailbox and just left the Gmail mailbox in the
secondary-select-methods. I obtain:
Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it? (y or n)
I chose n. Then, the minibuffer showed:
imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com...
It takes about 3 minutes until I see the Group buffer (why so long?)
When starting a new message, I get:
Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
When hitting ^, I obtain:
{nnfolder:archive} (closed)
{nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
{nnimap:marius.hofert@googlemail.com} (denied)

Any ideas?

>> Also, the (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate) statement did not change
>> anything concerning the completion (I am in the "To" line and type
>> "Us" + TAB. I expect to get "User", but nothing happens), but that's
>> certainly not the major problem at the moment.
>
> When you are in a message buffer, what's the value of
> `completion-at-point-functions'?  It should include
> `org-contacts-message-complete-function'.

It does:

completion-at-point-functions is a variable defined in `minibuffer.el'.
Its value is (org-contacts-message-complete-function)

  This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.

Documentation:
Special hook to find the completion table for the thing at point.
It is called without any argument and should return either nil,
or a function of no argument to perform completion (discouraged),
or a list of the form (START END COLLECTION &rest PROPS) where
 START and END delimit the entity to complete and should include point,
 COLLECTION is the completion table to use to complete it, and
 PROPS is a property list for additional information.
Currently supported properties are:
 `:predicate'           a predicate that completion candidates need to satisfy.
 `:annotation-function' the value to use for `completion-annotate-function'.

Still, I can't complete addesses. My ~/org/contact.org is specified in .emacs
by

(custom-set-variables
 '(org-contacts-files '("~/org/contacts.org")))
(org-contacts-gnus-insinuate)

and it looks like:

#+STARTUP: showeverything
# entry: