Re: dbus: "(setenv ...)" not the same as "export ...=..."

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: dbus: "(setenv ...)" not the same as "export ...=..."
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:07:30 +0100

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

> I don't want to start it from emacs. It has already been started from
> somewhere at the start of the X-session. The "address=autolaunch"
> permits emacs to find the dbus-daemon.
>
> From the dbus-launch man page:
>   "If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to
>    use D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke dbus-launch
>    with the --autolaunch option to start up a new session bus or find
>    the existing bus address on the X display or in a file in
>    ~/.dbus/session-bus/"
>
> It seems, that emacs does this only, if DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is set
> to "autolaunch:", but not if it is unset. And (setenv ...) does not
> work, it must be set from outside emacs.

Emacs' dbusbind.c does not parse $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, it uses
vanilla libdbus from the reference implementation. Therefore, its
behaviour seems to be correct.

For the behaviour of `setenv' see the other answer. It modifies
`process-environment', which is not involved 'cause there is no new
process started when opening a D-Bus connection.

Best regards, Michael.