how to extend `C-x 8` keymap?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: how to extend `C-x 8` keymap?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:08:35 -0500

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I didn't see it in the GNU Emacs FAQ or while
googling (and I have an `info` problem, about which separately):

How can I (presumably in init.el) extend my `C-x 8` keymap? E.g., I want

sequence  produce  as does (currently)
C-x 8 d   δ        C-x 8 RET GREEK SMALL LETTER DELTA
C-x 8 D   Δ        C-x 8 RET GREEK CAPITAL LETTER DELTA

Currently those sequences are undefined.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>