Re: How to save

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: How to save
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:41:45 +0100

from the TODO file (C-h C-t):
> * Important features:
> ** "Perspectives" are named persistent window configurations

The idea has been around a while, and emacs already knows how to do a
lot of what would be required to provide functionality similar to that
of all the window/workspace managers out there:
`window-configuration-to-register' actually provides most of what one
could wish for, except there's no way to save a "window configuration"
persistently.
(iirc this is actually one of the motivations named by the workgroup
author: window configuration can't be serialized in elisp (?))

Personally I use workgroups, which lets me define persistent named
workspaces each with its own window configuration.

It's a bit sad to see how many people have tried solving this problem
but no solution made it to core emacs. The issue does seem to be shared
by many.

--
Philipp Haselwarter