Re: Emacs crashes suddenly

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs crashes suddenly
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:48:04 +0100

"Pablo S.M." <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Pablo,

> My question is: how can I find a way Emacs tells me at least the crash
> reason? If I start emacs with gdb I don't see anything special, maybe
> because I have to compile it with some options?

Yes, at least with -O0 and -ggdb.  And even though you have installed
emacs into /usr/ or /usr/local/, you should invoke gdb in the src/
directory where you've compiled emacs, because that contain some gdb
initialization files.  When emacs crashes, use `bt full' and
`xbacktrace' to get some meaningful information.

So something along the lines of:

  $ cd ~/sources/emacs/src
  $ gdb /usr/bin/emacs
  gdb> run
  [do your usual work in emacs, and when it crashes, do...]
  gdb> bt full
  [full C backtrace]
  gdb> xbacktrace
  [lisp backtrace]

See etc/DEBUG for details on how to debug emacs:

  http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/annotate/head:/etc/DEBUG

Bye,
Tassilo