Re: find out in which file a key is defined

From: Jim Green
Subject: Re: find out in which file a key is defined
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:34:29 +0000

On 7 December 2011 09:45, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07 2011, Jim Green wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> Could anyone help on this question from an emacs learner:
>>
>> is there a command to find out why c-r is defined as isearch-backward?
>> and how to disable this behavior?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jim.
>>
>> below is obtained by c-h k c-r
>
> When I run that command it tells me that the key is defined in
> isearch.el (I'm running emacs 24). That's the facile answer to "why",

thank you both, this what I get by c-h k c-r, but where could I find it
is from isearch.el? I think finding where a key defined is very useful.

C-r runs the command isearch-backward, which is an interactive
compiled Lisp function.

It is bound to C-r, <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <i-search>
<isearch-backward>.

(isearch-backward &optional REGEXP-P NO-RECURSIVE-EDIT)

Do incremental search backward.
With a prefix argument, do a regular expression search instead.
See the command `isearch-forward' for more information.

Thanks, Jim