Re: Gmail with emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gmail with emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:35:02 +0100

"Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok i try to configure my GNU Emacs to read gmail email.
> I saw on a web site that i have to put these line :

Better refer to the official docs than to some probably outdated
website.

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                                   (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                   (nnimap-stream ssl))

You don't need to specify port and stream.  Gnus figures out the most
secure method automatically.

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "Gmail"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

> So I've put it in .emacs
> Now I have this error
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> `/home/sprudhom/.emacs':
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-secondary-select-methods

That means, that Gnus is not loaded at the time when that code got
executed, which is emacs startup time.  So put it into ~/.gnus.el
instead of ~/.emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo