Re: M-x mystery

From: Silvio Levy
Subject: Re: M-x mystery
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 12:07:08 -0800

Thank Teemu. I understand there are historical constraints. But note
that I'm not using the emacs GUI at all. I'm just talking about the
keyboard, and I thought alt-x is treated by keyboards in a way that's
exactly parallel to ctrl-x.

I do see that saying (define-key global-map "\M-x" 'kill-line) after
I've redefined ESC generates the complaint "Key sequence M-x starts
with non-prefix key".

I'm studying the references Drew sent in the Elisp manual, `Functions
for Key Lookup' and `Other Char Bits'. Obviously there are many
subtleties I wasn't aware of.

Best wishes,

Silvio