display-time-* variables

From: Silvio Levy
Subject: display-time-* variables
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:14:06 -0800

Dear Emacsers,

I don't seem to be able to control my time display.

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2011-03-04 on
palmer, modified by Debian

emacs -Q -l foo

where foo contains

(setq display-time-24h-format t)
(setq display-time-load-average t)
(display-time)

I still get the same display as if I had not set the variables.
I would like 24h format (currently I get AM/PM format)
I would like no load average or email flag.   (currently I get them).

I'm trying t for both these variables since
the default, nil, shows these unwanted things.

Thanks,

Silvio