Too much pita to paste into incremental regex search

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Too much pita to paste into incremental regex search
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:07:09 -0500

I don't use the incremental regex search much but did have need of it
today.  And repeatedly.  I found it difficult to impossible to
copy/paste to the prompt. As soon as you move the mouse, the prompt
disappears.

There must be some handier way to do that?

I switched to M-x search-forward-regex, and that does the job, but
still why do we make it so difficult to copy/paste to the incremental
regex search?