RE: ucs-insert in query-replace?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ucs-insert in query-replace?
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 11:22:52 -0800

> M-x query-replace '=E2=88=80' and attempted to then do
> ucs-insert (C-x 8 RET 'for all'), but got
> "Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer"
> How to do this correctly, or to do what I want some other way?

1. As Jambunathan mentioned, to be able to use a command (e.g. `ucs-insert')
from the minibuffer, set `enable-recursive-minibuffers' to non-nil.  (You
probably want to do that only temporarily.)

2. Instead of using `ucs-insert' for each such character you want to replace,
you can use library `ucs-cmds.el' to automatically create individual commands
that insert the chars from the Unicode subsets that you actually use.  Using
such commands is instantaneous.  Using `ucs-insert' each time you want to insert
such a character is quite slow.

3. If in addition to #2 you bind the specific char-inserting commands that you
use often to key sequences, then to use them in `query-replace' you need not set
`enable-recursive-minibuffers' to non-nil.  Just hit the keys for those chars to
insert them anytime.

Library `ucs-cmds.el' is here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/ucs-cmds.el