Re: display-buffer-reuse-frames in a tiling WM

From: Alex Sparrow
Subject: Re: display-buffer-reuse-frames in a tiling WM
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:59:06 +0100

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your thoughts. I appear to have found a solution to this
problem.

It seems that this issue was discussed in this thread on the emacs devel
list [1]. Apparently a window hint called _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW needs to be
set in some WMs to "properly" raise a window. Unfortunately it seems
this functionality hasn't yet been added to Emacs.

However, I eventually found this thread [2], giving an elisp snippet to
set _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW within raise-frame. In order to get Xmonad to
properly handle this message, I also had to enable the EWMH hooks as
described here [3].

I now find that selecting a previously opened buffer switches me to the
correct workspace as I wanted.

Cheers
Alex

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/61471