Re: ange-ftp using binary mode

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:30:16 -0500

On 2/10/2012 4:55 PM, Ken Goldman wrote:
I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
ssh. When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work. The server is
a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.

If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
Windows correctly. If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
setting ascii, it works.

How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?

Following up my own post, I edited ange-ftp.el and changed 'binary' to 'ascii'. Files now come across absolutely perfectly.

I know that's an awful hack, but it's a proof of concept. Now, how do I convince ange-ftp to use ascii without editing the elisp source?