Re: tmux & emacs: window issue

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:18:57 +0000

Hi,

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
> I don't really know if this question should go to an Emacs or an tmux
> (== modern gnu screen) newsgroup, so I try it here:
>
> I just discovered, that having one emacs daemon running, I can open as
> many emacsclients as I want and can do (being on plain terminal) all the
> window management with my terminal multiplexer (tmux). This works fine
> and appears more stable than something like winring.el, that caused more
> emacs crashes for me than anything else.
>
> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>
> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?

I run screen, launch an emacs -daemon at some point, and then I open
multiple emacsclient -t instances inside screen. One of these instances
is just for Gnus, and I don't have the problem you describe. When
entering a group I have two windows, the summary buffer and the article
buffer. Following a link in the article buffer just causes that window
to be replaced with the w3m stuff.

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente