Re: Emacs 24.0.94.1 slow to load on OS X

From: jreeseue
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.0.94.1 slow to load on OS X
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 13:04:47 -0800 (PST)

So, as requested I've done a reboot, retested, and examined MenuMeters. What
I've found is that after a fresh reboot this is the time to open emacs:
20:56@legolas:~$ time emacs -Q -l /usr/share/emacs/22.1/site-lisp/subdirs.el
-f "save-buffers-kill-terminal"

real    0m1.546s
user    0m0.456s
sys     0m0.071s

This is the nslookup time:
20:57@legolas:~$ time nslookup apple.com
Server:         192.168.1.254
Address:        192.168.1.254#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   apple.com
Address: 17.149.160.49
Name:   apple.com
Address: 17.172.224.47

real    0m0.071s
user    0m0.006s
sys     0m0.023s

All of this was gathered with the following memory information:
Memory Usage:
1,833.3 MB used, 6,357.0 MB free, 8,190MB total
Memory Pages:
710.1MB active, 1,123.2MB wired
108.9MB inactive, 6,248.1MB free
VM Statistics:
42,361 pageins, 0 pageouts
21,222 cache lookups, 9 cache hits (0.0%)
1,083,315 page faults, 43,046 copy-on-writes
Swap Files:
1 encrypted swap file present in /private/var/vm
1 swap file at peak usage
64MB total swap space (0MB used)

As a side note, I haven't experienced any lag when using emacs 22. The only
reason I upgraded was because emacs 22 wasn't doing syntax highlighting on
comments in Java. If there is a easy way to change this I would happily go
back to emacs 22 hopefully bring this to an end :)

Thanks again for all your help!