RE: First character beeps screen sometimes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: First character beeps screen sometimes
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:47:45 -0700

> The answer is (setq inhibit-splash-screen t) (in your .emacs file), in
> case anyone is interested.
>
> >> Should I M-x report-emacs-bug this?

It sounds like you should.  IIUC, this is not coming from any code that you
loaded.

If not using `--no-splash' or setting `inhibit-splash-screen' (or
`inhibit-startup-screen', presumably) to non-nil causes a beep, it sounds like
something is wrong with Emacs itself.

Users should not have to guess about such behavior, as you apparently had to.
If the beep is intensional then it obviously didn't convey the message it was
supposed to in this case.

But before filing a bug, perhaps read over `(emacs) Entering Emacs' once, just
to be sure it doesn't speak to this explicitly.