Re: problem repeat entry for a number

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: problem repeat entry for a number
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:22:24 +0100

() source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
() Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:34:34 -0400

   A mistake can rise up in any different aspects, while a correct
   one have few choice. :)

I agree, up to a point.

   In my point of view, maybe shorter sentences, more itemized
   threads for those none English native speakers like me, will
   lead to fewer misunderstanding.  yet it may not keep the manual
   threads simple and brief any more.

OK.

   Honestly speaking, after your explanation, i realize it was my
   fault failed to read the sentence correctly this time.

When there is a problem in communication, finding fault is easy.
When there is a problem in understanding, finding fault is hard.
Anyway, finding fault is only the start of fixing the problem.

   I think I understand the expression, but I still have a
   question on, is there any case of "C-u" following a minus sign?
   C-u <num> , here num is either negative or positive, there is
   no minus sign at the end of the <num> argument.

   1. here one cant type C - u <num> '-' to get the minus sign as
   the end ( in this case '-' would be char layout in the buffer).

Right.

   2. C-u '-' ( the only available case i can figure out, but i
   think it is meaningless) , also, type C-u again just start
   another instant of num argument input, still different from the
   case that terminate the argument input.  (though in minibuff
   C-u - C-u, but i can't see any difference between single C - u
   here)

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, sometimes no matter.  Consider:

 (defun p-try (&optional arg)
   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"p\")."
   (interactive "p")
   (message "arg is: %S" arg))

 (defun P-try (&optional arg)
   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"P\")."
   (interactive "P")
   (message "arg is: %S" arg))

 (global-set-key [(shift return)] 'p-try)
 (global-set-key [(meta  return)] 'P-try)

If you evaluate these forms in *scratch*, you can try the
following experiments:

1. S-RET
2. C-u S-RET
3. C-u - S-RET
4. C-u - C-u S-RET
(and so on)

You will find that a lone minus sign has meaning sometimes.
For more information, type:
- C-h f interactive RET
- C-h f - RET

Furthermore, each command chooses the way it handles the argument
supplied by C-u (if any).  When you write new commands, it is good
practice to mention this (to avoid the (lack of) communication
problem :-D).

   so, i wonder  why 'the minus sign'  appears in the very sentence.

   as a result,

   "C-u  following the digits  ends the argument." is enough,

   unless someone can show me the necessary of "minus sign" here

C-u is a way to supply qualified numerical information, and not
only numerical.  Perhaps someone who knows its history can explain
how it evolved to its present functionality.

   I wont be afraid to make another mistake next time if there are
   any chances., :)

Cool.

   btw, are you one of those so called "emacs hacks"?  cool!!

I am a student of Emacs.

   Thanks again for you patience.

Thanks for the opportunity to spew.  :-D