Re: Emacs gdb interface

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Emacs gdb interface
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 03:28:43 -0600

Dani Moncayo wrote:
> > Please add a newline to the output.  I think that without the newline
> > the output may be covered by other output.  I think it likely that the
> > output is actually being output but just covered.
> >
> > -  printf("hello, world!");
> > +  printf("hello, world!\n");
>
> If that was the case, it would cause a lot of confusion to users, but
> fortunately, that's not the case (I've just tested it and I see no
> output either).

It may be confusing but it is no different from having this case:

  rwp@discord:~$ printf "Hello" ; printf "\r"
  rwp@discord:~$

Question: Where did the output go?  Answer: It was printed but then it
was covered by the prompt and effectively hidden.  Here I am using two
printf statements because your program didn't include one but in the
operation of gdm and emacs there is almost certainly one, which is
represented here by the second printf.

But since you say it didn't make any difference then this point isn't
relevant.  But at least you can see why I asked for the newline.

At this point I do not have any more information.  Good luck!

Bob