Re: getting gnu emacs to run in gui mode

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: getting gnu emacs to run in gui mode
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:47:31 +0100

Am 21.3.2012 um 13:45 schrieb Kevin Patrick Barry:

> I have installed gnu emacs 23.4 on my linux system (Lubuntu), and I can run
> it just fine from my terminal, but I can't get it to load in gui mode.

You need to install a lot of dev packages. Compiling GNU Emacs is kind of
"development", not just using the system. Since you still have the sources on
your system, run './configure --help' and then decide which components of X11,
font handling and display, etc. you want and then install the corresponding dev
packages.

In GNU Emacs you can perform the task of configuration and compilation (+
installation). From the top level directory of the sources, i.e., emacs-23.4,
invoke M-x compile RET, then remove the text appearing in echo area/mini-buffer
and type: ./configure <possible options> RET. And you can see in colour which
software components and particles are found and which not. At the end of the
*compilation* buffer you'll see which kind of Emacs will be built. You can save
the whole buffer – and close it! (Or it will be overwritten by next
compilation.) If you are satisfied, you can M-x compile RET and press RET again
if the text says 'make -k' or use cursor-up to fetch back that 'make -k'. RET
will start the build.
If you're not satisfied with the configuration step you can install more dev
packages and/or use some configure options.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Don't force it; get a larger hammer.