Re: vc-git slows Emacs down quite a bit, trying to find a way to remove

From: XeCycle
Subject: Re: vc-git slows Emacs down quite a bit, trying to find a way to remove hooks
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:05:41 +0800

Wei Liu <liuw@liuw.name> writes:

> Hi all

Hello.

> I find that vc-git takes quite a lot of time to load, both in Emacs 23
> and Emacs snapshot. On my dev machine it takes up to 21 seconds. :-(
>
> I don't want to disable vc-mode entirely, I just want to make sure
> that vc-git doesn' t get loaded when I don't need it.

See variable vc-handled-backends.

If you need it sometimes, just set the variable temporarily back,
e.g. using directory-local variables.

> There was a topic [0] on this issue on stackoverflow. I took the
> advice to remove vc-find-file-hook from fine-file-hook list, thus
> speeding up Emacs a lot. But when I save file, vc-git gets loaded once
> again, which consumes 21 seconds. So my questions are a) how to
> disable this save file hook (I grepped in vc-*.el, didn't find
> save-*-hook), b) are there any other hooks I need to take care of?

a) Probably don't need that.  b) Same as a.

> Extra questions (to developers and/or Emacs gurus): Why is vc-git so
> slow (see [0] for profiling details)? Is there a genuine way to fix
> this?

Dunno, when viewing my local Emacs repo it isn't slow.  I don't
want to clone the kernel repo though.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University