Re: Avoiding Ctrl

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Avoiding Ctrl
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:21:06 -0000

Erik Winkels <aerique@xs4all.nl> writes:

[...]
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but why not press the right
> control key with any finger or part of your right hand and press 'x'
> with your left hand?  (Although I have to admit I never have my hands
> in the 'touch typist' position.)

The last bit would be the point, I think. Touch typing is all about
muscle memory and haptic feedback. (This is why the little knobs on the
f and j keys are so important.) Hitting the right Ctrl key with anything
but the pinky finger would not only force me to move my hand, but also,
and this is the deal breaker, to look at the keyboard. (I could use the
right pinky, of course, since that one doesn't have problems, but
frankly, I'd like it to stay that way.) Even using the mouse is less of
a break in workflow, since it is at the periphery of my visual field
when looking at the screen and since my hands can feel their way easily
into the right position. This happens quasi-instinctively.

To put it into an analogy: touch typing and using the right ctrl key
frequently is like having a racing car that can only drive in straight
lines, so that you have to stop each time you want to chance directions,
get out of the car and turn it around with a lifting jack. You'd quickly
sell it on ebay and look for a nice, slow compact car with steering wheels.

    Oliver
--
26 Thermidor an 219 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!