Re: finding files not visited

From: Alain Ketterlin
Subject: Re: finding files not visited
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:23:03 -0000

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm working on a code-base (python) which is very nested, in a Java-like
> style, and there are really thousands of files.
>
> I would like to access easily to files even if they are not visited yet.
>
> My idea is that if I am on path X on disk pressing C-x C-f would show me
> first the current files, then writing something which is not found could
> look for (with find for example) in the subdirectories to find the file
> that I wanted.
>
> Is it possible to achieve something like this?

I have no idea, I guess there is a clever way to deal with this...
However, I've had a similar case recently, and here is what I did:

    find wherever -name \*.py -exec echo "[[{}]]" \; > list.org

Then open list.org, org-mode will highlight the links. I kept this
buffer around, used C-s to locate file links in it, then RET to
open/switch to the corresponding buffer (I have org-return-follows-link
set to t). Admittedly silly, but incredibly simple and useful (to me).

Hope this helps.

-- Alain.