Re: Commenting Multiple Lines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Commenting Multiple Lines
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:23:22 -0000

>>> I don't find that M-; ever comments a region,
>> Try to read its documentation to understand under which circumstances
>> it does.
> I see.
> Fat chance I'm going to give in and turn on transient mark mode.
> It annoys the hell out of me.

Actually, transient-mark-mode has evolved a fair bit over the last few
versions of Emacs.  E.g. if you don't use transient-mark-mode, C-SPC
C-SPC will temporarily activate it and so will C-u C-x C-x (specifically
so you can use features such as comment-dwim's comment-region or undo's
undo-in-region).
Actually, nowadays the global setting of transient-mark-mode mostly just
toggles between C-SPC vs C-SPC C-SPC (and C-x C-x vs C-u C-x C-x).

        Stefan