Re: Emacs on Mac 10.7 (Lion): how to get PATH as in terminal?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Emacs on Mac 10.7 (Lion): how to get PATH as in terminal?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:25:38 -0000

In article <mailman.927.1319411717.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess the emacs developers do not see *shell* as a "login" shell.
>
> LIke you, I'm surprised.

Why?  The login shell is the initial shell started up when you first
login to the system.  In the case of *shell*, you login to the sytem,
then start Emacs, then start a new shell -- the latter is clearly NOT
the login shell.

There are a couple of good solutions to this:

1. Put settings that you want in both login and non-login shells into
your .bashrc instead of .profile.

2. The OS X-specific way to set environment variables for your entire
login session is to put them in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA