Re: cua mode when?

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: cua mode when?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:29:34 -0000

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 03:09:44 -0800 (PST) Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> XL> special dedicated keys are indeed tremendously useful.
>
> XL> i have a full article just on that
>
> XL> 〈Keyboard Shortcut Design: Dedicated keys, Special Buttons, Extra
> XL> Keys〉
> XL> http://xahlee.org/comp/keyboard_shortcut_design.html
>
> XL> industrial keyboard users, e.g. gamers, crave it. A entire market
> XL> exist for it. This market compete to create keyboard with evermore
> XL> keys! Fascinating. Even dedicated strips or pad of extra keys exist.
>
> We're talking about dedicated Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo.  Not extra remappable
> keys and special keys/buttons in general.  I have been using the
> Logitech G15 for 5 years so I'm aware of gaming keyboards, but that's
> not the topic.

Wow.

I think Xah is close enough to the topic.
We´re talking dedicated keys.  Sun also had an ¨OPEN¨ key.
I used it to iconify/de-iconify.  Imagine one key to get a window
out of the way, regardless of the program.

Keyboard vendors should be looking at common function and coming
up with keys to invoke those common functions.

--
Dan Espen