Re: why alias man to woman doesn't work?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: why alias man to woman doesn't work?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:38:51 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> why doesn't alias man to woman work?
>> i have this alias:
>
>> (defalias 'man 'woman)
>
>> but it still calls man when M-x on man.
>
> Good question.  The technical reason is that woman.el begins with
> (require 'man), so when you do M-x man, it autoloads `woman', which
> loads `man', which redefines `man' thus overwriting your defalias.
>
> So you have to do
>
>    (defalias 'man 'woman)
>    (eval-after-load 'woman '(defalias 'man 'woman))
>
> to get what you want,

Do I understand correctly that the above code will load `woman' when being
parsed, while:

     (eval-after-load "woman" '(defalias 'man 'woman))

would wait until woman was invoked by some other command?

If yes, for performance reasons, one should prefer the latter writing, in
order to have a quicker startup time of Emacs, right?

Just wanna be sure I correctly understood (or not!) this part...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban