Re: makeinfo: missing file argument

From: Kuroishi Mitsuo
Subject: Re: makeinfo: missing file argument
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 22:22:06 +0900 (JST)

  From:       Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
  Date:       Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:23:36 +0200

  > > (cd doc/emacs; make  info)
  > > /usr/bin/makeinfo --force --enable-encoding -I
/home/kuroishi/download/emacs/doc/emacs -o
/home/kuroishi/download/emacs/doc/emacs/../../info/emacs
  > > makeinfo: missing file argument.
  >
  > Here is the bug! I have, slightly edited:
  >
  >     (cd doc/emacs; make -k info)
  >     /opt/local/bin/makeinfo --force --enable-encoding -I
.../emacs-24.0.95/doc/emacs -o .../emacs-24.0.95/doc/emacs/../../info/emacs
.../emacs-24.0.95/doc/emacs/emacs.texi
  >     (cd doc/misc; make -k info)
  >
  > The argument "<path to>/doc/emacs/emacs.texi" is missing. A
  > possible reason might be that your terminal is limiting the
  > line.

OK. I understood the difference as you mentioned I'm not sure my
terminal isn't good though.

  > Do you have already some variant of GNU Emacs installed? Then you could try
this:

  > launch it, in some terminal or as X client. Then either cd
    in *shell* buffer to /home/kuroishi/download/emacs or open
    this directory in dired mode. If you want you can M-x
    compile RET and remove the whole text in minibuffer and
    substitute it with any of your configure commands, say

  >     configure --without-x --prefix=/home/kuroishi/local
  >
  > Press RETURN. Nice output, isn't it? When configure has
  > finished you can type again M-x compile RET and change the
  > text in minibuffer to:
  >
  >     make bootstrap
  >
  > Press RETURN. If the failure happens again, then try this:
  >
  >     M-x compile RET <a bit of editing in minibuffer> make distclean RET
  >
  > This should remove all files that do not belong to the
  > distribution. Now perform the configure step again and start
  > 'make bootstrap'.

You mean it needs to try to do entire build process in another
Emacs or so, right?

I tried building, make distclean, configure and make bootstrap,
as well but didn't go well again.

  > If this fails again, then it's likely that there is some
    failure in the build system. It could be in configure and
    some other GNU Emacs related files, or it is in your FreeBSD
    system. Although I am not using FreeBSD but Mac OS X, which
    is a bit related to FreeBSD or NetBSD, you can send me your
    config.log file (pay attention here: it could be very small,
    1...2 KB, then I would need the config.log~ file with more
    than 1 MB size) /privately/ and I can try to examine it and
    find a possible cause.

OK. I'll send it to you. Thanks for your help.

  > Do you have the file ~/download/emacs/doc/emacs/emacs.texi?

Yes, like below.

  % ls -la ~/download/emacs/doc/emacs/emacs.texi
  -rw-r--r--  1 kuroishi  staff  71616  4  4 10:17
/home/kuroishi/download/emacs/doc/emacs/emacs.texi

--
Kuroishi Mitsuo