Re: Problem with `dir-locals-set-class-variables'

From: Arne Jørgensen
Subject: Re: Problem with `dir-locals-set-class-variables'
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:09:26 +0200

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Arne Jørgensen wrote:
>
>> But if I want to use the other form of `dir-locals-set-class-variables'
>> where  variables is of the form (DIRECTORY . LIST) like this:
>>
>>   (dir-locals-set-class-variables 'my-test '(("~/my-test-dir" . ((nil .
>> ((my-test-var . "some-value")))))))
>>
>> and then visit a file i.e. ~/my-test-dir/my-test-file the variable is
>> NOT applied.
>
> I don't see this form documented anywhere. What makes you think it
> should work?
>
> C-h f dir-locals-set-class-variables
>
>   (dir-locals-set-directory-class DIRECTORY CLASS &optional MTIME)
>   [...]
>   CLASS is the name of a project class, a symbol.

C-h f dir-locals-set-class-variables

  dir-locals-set-class-variables is a compiled Lisp function in
  `files.el'.

  (dir-locals-set-class-variables CLASS VARIABLES)

  Map the type CLASS to a list of variable settings.
  CLASS is the project class, a symbol.  VARIABLES is a list
  that declares directory-local variables for the class.
  An element in VARIABLES is either of the form:
      (MAJOR-MODE . ALIST)
  or
      (DIRECTORY . LIST)

  In the first form, MAJOR-MODE is a symbol, and ALIST is an alist
  whose elements are of the form (VARIABLE . VALUE).

  In the second form, DIRECTORY is a directory name (a string), and
  LIST is a list of the form accepted by the function.

  When a file is visited, the file's class is found.  A directory
  may be assigned a class using `dir-locals-set-directory-class'.
  Then variables are set in the file's buffer according to the
  class' LIST.  The list is processed in order.

  * If the element is of the form (MAJOR-MODE . ALIST), and the
    buffer's major mode is derived from MAJOR-MODE (as determined
    by `derived-mode-p'), then all the variables in ALIST are
    applied.  A MAJOR-MODE of nil may be used to match any buffer.
    `make-local-variable' is called for each variable before it is
    set.

  * If the element is of the form (DIRECTORY . LIST), and DIRECTORY
    is an initial substring of the file's directory, then LIST is
    applied by recursively following these rules.