Re: is emacs in any linux base?

From: Susan Cragin
Subject: Re: is emacs in any linux base?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:54:45 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/emacs

>> And if you want emacs-snapshot and emacs-snapshot-gtk, add the ppa
>> https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/emacs

>I think that emacs-snapshot is deprecated. I filed a bug some time ago
>pointing out that the snapshot package was considerably older than the one in
>the main distro. I seem to remember that emacs-snapshot was removed from the
>main repos. I don't use Ubuntu as a desktop anymore, so can't easily check.

Hi, Ian.
The last Ubuntu emacs-snapshot was built 6 days ago, and it is now kept up to
date, and is also being worked on in Debian-unstable.
http://emacs.naquadah.org/
I did some searching a few days ago and some listserv claimed that "snapshot"
is slightly different from the general EMACS and is not just an early snapshot
of the general EMACS.