Re: ASCII encryption

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: ASCII encryption
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:48:14 +0530

Richard H Lee <ricardohenrylee@gmail.com> writes:

> On 16/04/12 12:51, Bernardo wrote:
>> there's a related epa-armor variable; (haven't tried it myself)
>>
>> ,----
>> | epa-armor is a variable defined in `epa.el'.
>> | Its value is nil
>> |
>> | Documentation:
>> | *If non-nil, epa commands create ASCII armored output.
>> |
>> | You should bind this variable with `let', but do not set it globally.
>> `----
>
> Yes, thanks, I tried this out yesterday. It works.
>
> However the EasyPG assistant integration with armor ascii files is not
> as nice with gpg binary files.

If `epa-armor' is not supported it should be removed or be made in to a
defconst.  Or it could be crptically renamed so that people don't
discover it accidentally.  The info manual can be augmented to mention
why the author thinks using it globally is not a good idea.

epa-armor is like the biblical forbidden fruit with hints of both
pleasure and pain.  The ultimate end it achieves is to leave mere
mortals in a state of perpetual confusion on private matters.