Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:48:34 +0200

Chiron <chiron613.no.spam.@no.spam.please.gmail.com> writes:

> If Emacs works for you, use it.  If not, don't, or fix what you feel is
> wrong with it.  It's nothing but the most highly customizable editor on
> the planet.

And there is the core problem with so many Emacs types. Dont like it
dont use it. God forbid it could *easily* be made more accessible to new
adopters : the hard core are more than capable of re-enabling the
somewhat out of date and history rooted "defaults" such as an elisp
*scratch* as the first buffer you see or the hideous cut & paste
defaults which leave those coming from the desktops which, like it or lump it,
account for 97% of computers totally lost and bemused.

I love emacs, but this "dont like dont use it" attitude is
ridiculous. its a great piece of SW hekp to make it appeal : more users
== more maintainers == more ideas == better product. "I'm alright Jack"
attitude wont do anything to improve its usage. And usage IS important
to ensure its future. Just look at how behind it is with regards to mix
mode programming and Java in particular : and no, no one wants to know
how "mixed mode programming sucks" - its exists and is common.