Re: Extended ascii characters in emacs lisp

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Extended ascii characters in emacs lisp
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 06:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, 21 April 2012 19:49:40 UTC+8, Richard H Lee  wrote:

> What I did not originally realise was that extended ascii is not really
> that well supported in Linux (my os), as it is more of a DOS / Windows
> standard.

I guess you mean the graphics drawing characters of codepage-437, which is very
definitely a DOS relic.  Even Windows support for it these days is not
widespread outside of the command console.

Unicode has these characters and more. See etc/charsets/IBM437.map in the Emacs
source distribution (or installed under /usr/share/emacs or similar path), or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 for mappings.